Book Connect is full featured and fully customizable book database software, with a user interface that has been designed to be clean, intuitive and super easy-to-use.
However, the user interface is different from the Book Collector desktop software, so if you are switching from Book Collector to Book Connect, the web-based user interface may take some getting used to. Also, in Book Collector you probably customized the look and layout of the program, so you will have to invest a few minutes to do the same customization here.
This page will help you
- Find your way in Book Connect’s user interface
- Customize the look and layout the way you want it
Here’s an overview of the Book Connect main screen.
The most important thing to know here: the program’s menu is under the menu icon top left (with the 3 horizontal lines).
Customizing the Look and Layout
Of course, the look and layout of Book Connect is fully customizable.
Open the menu and choose Settings, then take some time to set it up the way you want.
Choose from 4 different skins
Four different Skins are available. Light, Dark, Blue and Default (basically Light content with Dark toolbars).
Layout: Vertical or Horizontal Split
You can choose between two different layouts for the main screen, which differ in the way the right side of the screen is split between the book list and the details panel that show the details of the selected book: above each other (Horizontal Split) or side-by-side (Vertical Split).
Switch between layouts using the Layout icon on the far right of the toolbar above the book details (or just use the Settings screen).
Book list: List, Cards, Images or Shelves
Similar to the desktop software, Book Connect also offers 4 different ways to display your books. As a List, as little info Cards, as just Cover images or a nice Shelves. Switch between these views using the first 4 icons on the toolbar right above the book list.
- In Covers and Shelves view: use the slider above the book list to change the size of the images
- The style selector above the Shelves view lets you choose between 6 different shelf styles (Wood Light, Wood Dark, Glass, Metal, Carbon and White)
Choosing Columns, Sort Order and Folder options
Book Connect is fully flexible in the way you show and navigate your book database.
- use the Columns button to select which fields are shown in the book list, in List View
- click a column’s name in the header row to sort on that column, click again to reverse the sort order
- or use the Sort button on the far right to set up your own Sorting favorites, with single or multi-field sort orders
- use the Folder button on the far left to select which field to use for the folder panel on the left. By default, the panel shows Author folders, but you can of course choose any field, e.g. Genre, Publisher, Publication Year, etc… or you can even create multi-level folder favorites!
Adding and Editing Books
In your desktop software, you are used to all features being on the main toolbar. In Book Connect however, we aimed to keep the main toolbar clean and simple, showing just a big blue button for the main and most important feature, Add Books.
The Edit button (and other actions you can do on the selected book, like Remove, Share, Link, Submit, etc..) are available on the other toolbar lower down, right above the details of the selected book (makes sense, right?).
The different ways to Add Books are available in Book Connect too, by Author/Title and by ISBN. In the Add Book screen, use the tabs at the top to choose between them.
To add books manually, use the Add Manually link at the top right.
Yes, you can edit your book details in Book Connect too :-)
Use the tabs at the top of the Edit screen to find all editable fields.
About User Defined fields:
Book Connect does not have User Defined Fields. We recommend using Tags or Notes instead.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.